I want to talk about my recent redesign of my blog to improve my SEO. I peered over to Google’s Webmaster Central blog and took a few hints from their design to see if I could add some of their elements to improve my blog’s visibility and impact. Site content is king for SEO but I should at least make it look pretty. Here are the features I improved or added:
- My Navbar, at the very top of my blog.
- It’s now black, which should help you all see it better. The Navbar allows you to visit Blogger’s home page, search Blogger, Follow my blog, Share my blog, Report Abuse (which will never happen from my blog, right? Right.), and move to the randomly chosen, Next Blog.
- Search Box, positioned at the top right-hand corner.
- I put this here to help you all search for whatever you may be wondering about from my blog. SEO contains a lot of jargon that even I’m learning so a search box should help all of us out.
- Translation Box, just below the Search Box.
- I put this here for all of my international readers. You can also translate it to many languages to understand, learn or just for fun. It’s really humbling when you see your own words in languages outside of English.
- Subscription Box, just below the Translation Box.
- I put this here to make it easier for readers to keep reading my blog. The first option is from FeedBurner, which is a great path stay updated with my blog. All you need to do is press it to subscribe. The second option is adding my blog to your iGoogle or Google Reader. Both help search engines index and crawl my blog, along with thwarting godawful spammers, which is a great benefit to SEO.
- My Three-columned Layout. I put my personal information on the left side, posts in the middle and new features and archive on the right side for better organization and navigation.
I hope my improved design makes my blog much more readable and enjoyable for you all.